CROS and BiCROS Hearing aids
For ‘Single-Sided Deafness’
Are you deaf in One Ear ?
Single-sided deafness is defined as having one dead ear (non aid-able) combined with normal hearing OR an aid-able hearing loss in the other ear.
The best hearing aid solution for singlesided deafness being:
- CROS hearing aids for this who have 1 dead ear + 1 very good ear
- Bi-CROS hearing aids for those who have 1 dead ear + 1 ear hearing loss
There are three main difficulties for those people who suffer complete deafness in one ear:
- Loss of localising sound direction – using just the one ear makes it very difficult to know where sounds have come from.
- Understanding speech in noise – the brain has an amazing ability to suppress out unwanted sounds, but it can only do this when listening in stereo.
- The head shadow effect – low frequency sounds are longer in wavelength and can travel around the head, but high frequency sounds are shorter in wavelength and are shielded by the head. And because high frequency components of speech dictate clarity this makes it difficult for people to follow conversations from their dead side without turning their head all the time.
CROS stands for ‘Contra-lateral Routing of Signal‘.
If you want an invisible CROS hearing aids then the Signia SILK may be what you need.
Crystal Hearing can supply all CROS & BiCROS hearing aids via our clinic in Marlow – surrounding areas include High Wycombe, Maidenhead, Reading, Slough, Henley, Beaconsfield and other areas in Buckinghamshire and Berkshire. We have UK wide affiliates who can supply these hearing aids – please call us.